The software Reporter tool is shown in the task manager bar of the laptop. It is a Google Chrome Cleanup tool. This tool is installed with Google Chrome on your laptop. It scans your browser for the malware functioning process. This detector monitors your browser completely. Many users have this tool running on their laptops. It takes up a lot of CPU usage in your system. A total of 25% to 60% of high CPU resources can be taken by just this tool. The small executable file is named Software_Reporter_Tool.exe.
So, why this scanning tool is on my laptop?
When you install Google chrome first on your laptop. This scanning tool installs with it. When Google Updates, it runs on your computer. It scans malfunctioning programs on your browser. Then, it sends the result to Google. The resulting log includes all the malfunctioning programs. These programs disturb the user’s Chrome experience. This tool is installed with Chrome to make the user experience better. So, the user does not have to go through a malfunctioning browser. But, many users choose to disable it due to any reason.
Why disable Software Reporter tool?
This tool that removes unwanted programs can be a little heavy for your laptop. First, it takes up high CPU usage on your laptop. There could be many software monitoring tools running on your laptop. It could cause disruption and slowness in laptops. As this tool is a Google Chrome tool, it sends scanned results to Google. This could be a pretty huge thing for some users regarding privacy breaching. If you are experiencing heavy CPU usage all the time. It is the right time to disable it. Many people use other tools for backup and monitoring.
There are many other options such as Mozilla Firefox. Vivaldi and Microsoft edge are also very good options.
Also Read: How to fix “ERR_CACHE_MISS” in Google Chrome
Remove Software Reporter tool by deleting executable file:
Type “Ctrl+ R” and Run window will open and copy-paste this:
The folder will appear on your computer. Our version number folder was “83.238.200” as shown below. It could be different in your computer set.
Now you will click on the folder. You will find Software Reporter tool executable file.
To make sure that your data remains secured and the browser keeps running fine. All you have to do is to delete the executable file. First, you have to find the tool folder as mentioned in the above steps and delete it. It will not disrupt your browsing experience. This becomes a necessity for users when CPU usage goes up higher. It is important to know that you have to monitor the Chrome updates. It is not a permanent solution because Chrome keeps updating. It will install the tool again.
Disable Software Reporter Tool by deleting contents:
You can temporarily stop the software to run on your computer. Follow the steps below.
- Open the Notepad on your laptop.
- Now Click on the “open” option from the menu bar.
- Then a box will appear. Paste this on the box
- Select software_reporter_tool.exe from the list and press “Open”
- Then, click “CTRL+ A” and delete all the content.
- Save this file.
Deleting all the content of the folder will be temporary. Google Chrome browser will update and again tool will be installed in Computer.
Remove Permission to access tool for Google:
Using temporary methods will of no use in the longer run. The best option will be removing permission for users and Google. It will prevent users or Google to run or access this tool. This process will not let the tool run anymore. All Google updates will not affect in any way.
To apply this method, follow the steps below:
- Go to Run and past this code
- There is a folder called SwReporter.
- Right, click on it. Go to Properties.
- Now, select the Security tab
- The page will open, select Advanced on it.
- Now click on “Disable inheritance“. You can select “remove all inherited permissions from this object.”
- Click Apply and press Yes in Security Window.
- Select Ok and again Ok
Now no user or Google will have access to run software tools.
Disable Scanning Tool on Windows Network:
You can also disable the tool by registry or group policy. It is an easier method for you if you are a system administrator. You can disable the tool from connected computers. You can disable this tool by group policy editor as mentioned in steps:
- First, download Google Policy templates.
- After downloading, unzip the file in a different folder.
- Now you have to copy Google.admx and Chrome.admx.
Then paste it to C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions\ folder.
- Now Copy Google.adml and Chrome.adml. You will find this in the en-us folder. Then copies these to C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions\en-us\.
- Now open the group policy editor
- You can open it by Run window and type “gpedit.msc“
- Then, there will be new Google policies: Computer Configuration –> Administrative Templates –> Google –> Google Chrome
- Now you will disable this under Google Chrome “Enable Chrome cleanup on Windows“
Also Read: How to Delete Your Skype Account
You can use any of these methods of your choice from the list above. It depends on your choice if you want to temporarily disable it. You can go for temporary disabling tool methods. If you want to permanently remove software then you can do it too. Google Chrome browser tries to make your browsing experience better by this tool. If your CPU usage is going really crazy.
You can disable the tool but if it’s not bothering you. Then, there is no use to remove this from your laptop. It is a useful tool for your laptop. It sends google about all the corrupt programs and files on your browser. It can even remove useless extensions and add-ons from the Google browser. These extensions are usually installed by third-party software. It is for better security and user experience.